Serves about 50
3 1/2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
5 cups boiling water
2 tablespoons baking soda
2 cups walnuts, chopped
4 cups white sugar
1/2 cup butter
9 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon salt
1. Dissolve baking soda in boiling water in a bowl. Add dates and soak for 30 minutes.
2. Strain dates and reserve. Do not save water.
3. Cream sugar and butter together.
4. Add eggs, vanilla, dates, nuts, flour and salt and mix.
5. Divide batter into 4 loaf pans or 2 shotgun pans. Line pans with parchment paper and grease.
6. Bake 1 hour at 300 degrees or until done.Back to News